Skip to navigation


New York International Adoption Lawyer

Inter-Country Adoptions

If you are a family exploring your international adoption options, there are, unfortunately, not many countries "open" for international or inter-country adoption. Your first step is to understand whether the country you wish to adopt from is a Hague Convention country or not. If you would like more information about the Hague Convention and the participating countries, you can visit the U.S. Department of State's official website.

If the country you wish to adopt from is a Hague Convention country, you will need to locate a Hague-accredited agency that runs a program in that country. Some agencies may have a direct program of their own while others may "piggy back" off another agency. Either way, you need to work with an agency that has experience in finalizing adoption from that country.

Adoptions from Non-Hague Countries

If you have located an eligible orphan in a non-Hague Convention country, our New York international adoption lawyers can act as your source of information and your guides through the entirety of your legal process. These types of adoptions, referred to as parent-initiated adoptions, are less common; however, if you have a resource or know someone in a non-Hague Convention country who can help you on the other side, our firm can explain the steps you need to take and can assist you in satisfying state law, U.S. Immigration law, and the laws of the foreign county.

It is essential that you fully understand this process, including who can or cannot be adopted and the legal paperwork that must be obtained in order to eventually bring a child home lawfully on an IR-3 or IR-4 visa.

International Adoption of a Family Relative

If you wish to adopt your niece, nephew, brother, or sister from a foreign country, then you need to consult with one of our New York adoption lawyers before proceeding with this process. Before you adopt a family member, you must be sure that the adoption that you are planning meets the requirements of U.S. immigration law.

Although your family member may be eligible for adoption in the child's country, the child may not qualify for emigration from that country to the United States because he or she may not be classified as an eligible orphan. Be aware that obtaining an adoption decree before understanding U.S. federal laws may ultimately jeopardize the U.S. visa process.

Obtain the Information and Legal Assistance You Need

Our New York adoption attorneys have represented numerous U.S. citizens during their international adoption endeavors. Having worked with a diverse set of clients for a wide variety of issues and countries, our firm is uniquely prepared to meet your needs and goals.

If you would like to learn more about your international adoption matter, contact Greenberg & Greenberg today.